Dependable Erection

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Notes from a Republican

Some WATB anonymous commenter seems to think that the problem with the US right now is that George W. Bush doesn't have enough power to run the country as he sees fit.

I think there's some prescient Republican theorizing on that concept.
The provision of the Constitution giving the war making power to Congress was dictated, as I understand it, by the following reasons: kings had always been involving and impoverishing their people in wars, pretending generally, if not always, that the good of the people was the object. This our convention understood to be the most oppressive of all kingly oppressions, and they resolved to so frame the Constitution that no one man should hold the power of bringing this oppression upon us.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for this post, including the "WATB" expression which I will share with my new Australian friends. (Aussies seem to like that kind of thing.)

    Thanks also for the Lincoln quote, whose authorage I was proud/surprised to guess. Last night, my new mates (again, the Aussies) asked if we'd ever get rid of pennies. I said "probably not, since they have Lincoln on them." Actually, I think it's more like, "probably not, because we're really good at continuing stupid habits just because they're habits." I don't think it's just Americans who are that way. But when it comes to ugly American money, I feel free to rant.

    By Blogger Marsosudiro, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home