Dependable Erection

Friday, March 14, 2008

There's a feeling I get

Maybe you know it.

You're thinking about an old friend. Someone whose path no longer crosses yours with any regularity, someone you used to hang with a lot, but maybe haven't seen for what, 6, 8 years now? You almost pick up the phone, but there's a three hour time difference, and calling information to get that phone number is such a waste of time. The garage needs to be cleaned, the yard raked, maybe you've just been yelling at the kids for something stupid, and the moment passes. There'll be another time next week, next month, to make that call.

Until one day you learn that there won't be another time.

Do you know that feeling, when you learn that?

No?

Neither did i, until this morning.


Here's some words by John Darnielle that somehow seem to fit.
I will rise up early and dress myself up nice
and I will leave the house and check the deadlock twice.
and I will find a crowd and blend in for a minute
and I will try to find a little comfort in it.
and I will get lonely and gasp for air.
and send your name up from my lips like a signal flare.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Even the longest life is too damn short.

    Big hugs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • "How short is love; how long is forgetting." Pablo Neruda (translated)

    Lo siento.

    By Blogger Joseph H. Vilas, at 2:54 PM  

  • her blog is equally sad and happy. thanks for sharing - made me cry like a baby.

    By Blogger libby, at 6:48 PM  

  • It would be great if he played more local shows. I thought he was still in the area.

    By Blogger allenk, at 9:23 AM  

  • "I hope the leaving is joyful...and I hope never to return."

    -Frida Khalo

    By Blogger Vera, at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home