Dependable Erection

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's not a bug, it's a feature

As reports in the HS and N&O note this morning, new city manager Tom Bonfield remarked during his meet the press session yesterday that "The streets are in terrible shape. Public Works isn't going to be happy about me saying that, but there are a lot of bumpy roads, and things like that that need to be dealt with."

Tom, Tom, Tom.

Those aren't "bumpy roads."

That's our traffic calming and pedestrian safety program in action.

Welcome to Durham.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • May I suggest we all take a deep breath until the intentions of Greenfire are known. I've met most of you in person (John, Michael Lemanski, etc.), and personal attacks are unwarranted IMHO. There's nothing wrong with Michael bringing up Gary's working for SP -- he phrased it in a context that clearly indicated that he was trying to explain himself rather than "talking down" to the commenters here.

    With regards to anon, I will in fact be holding up a placard that provides for an alternative use. Since I'm running for office this fall, you might want to take a look at my platform -- it's a free market approach that is supported by the development community. Historic preservation is not incompatible with making money, you know -- Greenfire has demonstrated that in spades.

    By Blogger KeepDurhamDifferent!, at 3:08 PM  

  • That was definitely not the comment I submitted (this was one for a much older post). Blogger failure? My comment was:

    I know you're probably being sarcastic, but in the current political climate this is exactly the type of traffic calming measures we need. No new paving while we are subsidizing sprawl.

    By Blogger KeepDurhamDifferent!, at 3:29 PM  

  • It's what showed up in my "comments to be moderated" folder. I thought it was something that was in relation to a thread at Kevin's place.

    i can delete it if you'd like.

    By Blogger Barry, at 3:32 PM  

  • And no, i wasn't being sarcastic. Shitty roads are basically the only traffic calming that Durham does.

    By Blogger Barry, at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home