Dependable Erection

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

MLS cannot be liking this

David Beckham, he of the $250 million playing and endorsement contract with MLS and the LA Galaxy, quoted today in the Italian press:
"The Americans are doing everything they can to improve the level and reputation of their game. It's a young league and I think it needs another 10 years to become successful," said Beckham, whose contract with the Galaxy lasts through 2012.

"I have to admit that, having played in Europe, sometimes it was frustrating playing in certain games. But every now and then, moving from one state to another, I also enjoyed myself."

Compliments don't come much more backhanded than that, do they?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • He might not have really realized what he'd signed on for. I wouldn't be too thrilled about moving from one state to another, from such action-packed places like Salt Lake City to Dallas to Columbus, when I could be moving from Milan to Florence to Rome.

    Granted, he got a lot of money to stoke enthusiasm in our boring suburbs. But who can blame him for missing the Euro limelight?

    By Blogger David, at 5:48 PM  

  • I don't blame Becks at all. If you read the English press, he got mocked mercilessly for the move to MLS "soccerball." I think he really wants to break Bobby Robson's record for English caps, and the only way he's going to do that is by playing for a real football team.

    The question is going to be how much to buy his contract out, and who pays for it. And, i guess, can MLS survive this blow?

    By Blogger Barry, at 6:52 PM  

  • I actually dislike the MLS business model, so I won't feel too sorry for them. I fully expect them to extract a dear price for Beckham--money they can then spend to bring home DaMarcus Beasley or some other fading Euro star.

    By the way, the team in Cary is loading up on MLS veterans. Making some interesting moves and I'm optimistic they'll have a good side this year. Have you bought your ticket to the opening friendly against the Revolution yet?

    By Blogger David, at 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home