Dependable Erection

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The problem

. . . when he is a passenger in a car, it makes him nervous when the driver starts talking on the phone. But Mr. Hill, who is polite and deferential, said he doesn’t want to badger drivers about the risks.

“I hope they don’t have to go through what I did to realize it’s a problem,” he added.


Emphasis mine.

Earlier in the article, we discover what Mr Hill went through. And that was a red light. At 45 mph.

The result of which is that a woman died.

But of course, it's what he went through, pleading guilty to negligent homicide ( misdemeanor), that's the real problem here.

The 61 year old woman he killed is, of course, just as dead as if she had been killed by some gun-toting gang banger.

And even worse?

The states that rejected any efforts to limit distracted driving this year include Oklahoma.

“I’m on the phone from when I leave the Capitol to when I get home, and that’s a two-hour drive,” said Tad Jones, the majority floor leader in the Oklahoma House, who helped block the legislation. “A lot of people who travel are used to using the phone.”

Fuck you, Tad Jones. On behalf of the 2600 Americans who died in traffic accidents caused by "distracted driving" last year.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I didn't get killed by a "distracted driver" but I did almost get seriously injured and lost property (my cherished red van) in the process. Also, if the collision followed a different sequence, I would have the fate of someone else's kids on my conscience, even though it wasn't my fault.

    After the other driver went through her flashing red light, she had the nerve to NOT GET OFF THE PHONE FOR A SECOND and shout over to me "are you okay?"

    I told her to stay with her vehicle and kids.

    I wished I told her to get off the freaking phone.

    You know, we're just about at total alcohol prohibition for drivers and maybe that's a good thing. But for a legislator to block a sensible law that tells drivers to use hands-free phones is obscene.

    BTW, this was on Hwy 70 in Hillsborough.

    By Blogger Tony, at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home